The InterContinental Kansas City Provides Professional Kansas City Event Space Staff
Kim Kruse, Director of Catering
- Hometown: Salisbury, MO
- Prior Work Experience: Hotel, sales and catering director and convention services positions over 15 years; Air Force officer/enlisted club catering experience at Whiteman Air Force Base
- Joined the InterContinental Kansas City event space team: September 2011
- Primary Responsibility: Leadership of the InterContinental Event Planner Team and member of the National Association of Catering Executives
- Contact: 816-751-1915, firstname.lastname@example.org
“A wedding reception is one of the most special events in a family’s legacy. To be part of such an important event is an incredible honor.”
“There is no more gratifying experience than to feel the connection that comes with planning the event with the bride, groom and the parents and truly feeling in your heart the warmth and joy when the father of the groom gives his toast the evening of the reception. I still tear up, even after planning receptions for as long as I have.”
When not at the Hotel taking care of her clients, Kim is a mother of two young boys who keep her busy with Scouts, guitar lessons, football, soccer and church. Of course, you can’t forget her four-legged friends, Max and Casey, (2) one year old pure bred West Highland White Terriers and Priscilla the family’s calico cat.
Debera Nichols, Senior Catering Manager
- Hometown: St. Louis, MO
- Prior Work Experience: Restaurant manager, assistant restaurant manager, sommelier, and catering sales manager in various reputable establishments
- Joined the InterContinental Kansas City event space team: 2007
- Primary Responsibility: Lead contact for social galas, holiday parties, community gatherings, and corporate events
- Contact: 816-303-2955, email@example.com
“I like making guests happy, and making their wishes come true… Our building, location, decor, staff and chef differentiate us from other local venues. I never doubt that the food is going to be anything but wonderful.” – Debera Nichols
This experienced senior manager knows how to handle unforeseen situations.
“In one instance, a prestigious poolside gala was interrupted by afternoon showers. Our Kansas City event space team was suddenly faced with the challenge of moving guests from the pool to the Rooftop Ballroom,” she remembers. “Although there was a great deal of pressure on this important event, the staff all came together to keep it running smoothly. It was great!”
Outside of work, this mother of two children enjoys cooking, bird hunting and fishing. She is also a culinarian who has had the rare distinction of planning a James Beard Award dinner.
Larry Wheeler, Floral Director
- Hometown: Kansas City, MO
- Prior Work Experience: Instructor at Floral Technology & Design School and additional design experience in residential and commercial interiors, fashion apparel, jewelry, floral design, and event staging
- Joined the InterContinental Kansas City event space team: 2005
- Primary Responsibility: Floral displays in the hotel’s public areas, arrangements requested for hotel guests, and setting the stage for many of Kansas City’s memorable galas, weddings, corporate, and civic events
- Contact: 816-303-2999, firstname.lastname@example.org
“The essence of hospitality is making guests feel welcome and there is no better way to create a welcoming environment than with flowers. Every flower comes with an emotion and I use these emotions in each of the InterContinental’s various event spaces to create gracious interactions. Each room has an intimate, manorial feel that is simply unmatched in this city.” – Larry Wheeler
Since 1994, Larry has the experience and distinction of being Kansas City’s only hotel florist.
Creating moments in which natural and human beauty come together to produce joy is what excites Larry about being part of the InterContinental Kansas City event space team.
Aside from floral work, Larry’s creative spirit is fueled by his passion for collecting original art.